I'm having a problem. I am the yearbook coordinator for my kid's school. I knew this task would not be an easy one when I signed up to do it. But I've run into a problem already, and I would love everyone's advise.
The school's theme this year is "We Want You!" (Uncle Sam/Patriotic theme). Each time the school has a function, I take several pictures of the function, upload them onto pages for the yearbook, and then put a catchy little phrase on the top of the page (a spin off of the "We Want You!" theme). Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I had parents send in pictures of their child/children on the first day of school, I uploaded them to the yearbook, then gave it the title "We Want You To Have A Great First Day of School!" For the Fall Dance I did the same thing, with the title "We Want You To Boogie On Down!" You get the point.
Okay, so the school had College Day last week, and I'm struggling with this page. Perhaps I'm over-thinking this one, because at first I put the title "We Want You to Go to College!" on the page. Somehow, that just doesn't sound right to me. Not all children will go to college. And do we really want every child to go to college? What about trade schools and fine art schools, and entrepreneurs, and so on. I don't know... I realize that it is the hope, the dream, and the aspiration of every educator and maybe even every parent that every child go to college. But, what's realistic? See? I told you I was over-thinking this one! :-)
I'm asking for your help. What are your thoughts on this subject matter? Can you come up with a better title for me to use? What about "We Want You to Dream Big!" or "We Want You to Reach For The Stars!" Kind-of vague, I know. But is it better? Help!
Quote of the Month
"Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We want you to succeed, so reach for the stars!
MG
We want you to learn for your future?
I think this is vague enough that it applies to both what they are learning now and what they learned at the college fair.
I'm enjoying keeping up with your family through your blog, Patty!
Jill Nowell
I like "We Want You to Dream Big." Could do something like, "...to love learning."
I totally hear you! I am one who thinks college is NOT for everyone and that we're doing ourselves a disservice if we encourange EVERYONE to go. So how about, "We Want You To Think Ahead!" Like about the future?
Good luck...sounds like quite a task!!
RAK
"we want you to strive for higher learning!"
Nina
Post a Comment