Quote of the Month

"Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Change

After weeks of trying to decide how to begin this post, I have come to realize that the best way to share this news is to simply come right out with it...

A few weeks ago, Samuel had his last day at the school he has attended since Kindergarten.  He was accepted into a wonderful charter school that allows him to take classes online, at home.  This new charter school is providing Samuel with a home-based public school education.  He follows the same curriculum as other students in traditional public schools.  He has teachers who conduct webinars of his classes, and Samuel, along with all of his other classmates, attend online classes daily.  He has monthly field trips with all of the children in his class.  And so far, things have been going really well!

This was not a decision that we made lightly.  It was a decision made with a lot of prayer, and tears, and heavy hearts and minds.  For several years now, we knew that Samuel was not thriving in his current school setting.  It had nothing to do with the school, or the teachers, or the staff.  It had to do with the fact that not every kid fits inside a box.  And it had everything to do with the fact that ultimately we needed to find something for Samuel that was going to be the very best educational experience long-term for him.

So, I get to be at home during the day, all alone, with just Samuel now.  This is something that I have not experienced in years.  I was scared at first.  I can admit it.  But it has been amazing!  I get to discuss literature with him.  We talk about great pieces of art.  We talk about why learning how to add and subtract numbers with decimals in them will serve him well later in life, like when he has to pay for things or make change.  But honestly, the absolute coolest thing for me has been seeing the transformation that has been occurring in my son.  The shyness and anxiety and uncertainty is slowly fading.  And this really smart, confident kid is starting to come out.  I have seen the sparkle return to his eyes.

I've had so many wonderful moments in the past few weeks that have affirmed for me that we made the right decision for Samuel.  I am truly thankful for each gift of affirmation that I have received.  It's not always easy to make such a big change.  I struggled with feelings of doubt at first as to whether or not we were making the right decision.  And I struggled with whether or not I should write this blog.  But ultimately I decided to write it because I know that so many of you reading this have listened to me for many years now talk about Samuel and school.  You've listened to me.  You've offered your prayers, your advise, and your words of encouragement.  It has all been tremendously helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Embracing the change,
Patty

No comments: