Quote of the Month

"Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, January 9, 2009

Stuff

Last night for homework, Amanda was supposed to answer 10 questions on a worksheet and then write a paragraph about 1 of 3 Indian tribes she's been learning about in school, giving specific examples of their homes, farming, and trading practices. After a couple of minutes, she announced to me that she was done and went to play with Avery. I suspected something was not right, so I pulled out her binder and looked over the worksheet. Every answer looked wrong. But when I got down to her paragraph, I literally gasped. This is what she wrote:

"They lived in things made of stuff. The growed other stuff and the stuff they could not growed they traded for other stuffs."

This is the part of tutoring Amanda that just floors me! I called her back into the dining room and sat down with her at the table, and made her go over the entire worksheet again. She had originally missed 9 out of 10 questions, and written that horrible paragraph. After I sat down with her, she got all of the questions right and she wrote a much better paragraph. I just hate it when she does stuff like that! :-)

No comments: