If there's anything I have discovered when it comes to helping out at the kid's school, it's that the same 3 or 4 parents always seem to be the ones who volunteer to do everything. I realize that a lot of parents work, and they are busy, but I would think that all parents would want to help out in some way. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Still, the teachers (and ultimately the kids) need the help and support of the parents. The good thing about me helping out at the school is that I get a chance to see them interacting with their teachers and classmates. I also get a chance to let their teachers know that I am an involved parents. I've seen children suffer in school, and I think it could have made a huge difference in the child's success at school if their parent(s) would have been more involved. The not-so-good thing about me helping out in both kids' classrooms is that I have an active 1 1/2 year old, and many of his naps (and therefore, my quiet time too) are sure to get interrupted. But that is a small price to pay.
This morning, Samuel's teacher sent me an email. In the email she said that she is "enjoying getting to know Samuel's personality. He has a cute sense of humor." Seems like Samuel might be telling his knock-knock jokes in class! No seriously, his teacher seems extremely nice and I am thrilled with how well he is doing in her class. His teacher had a quote under her name in the email. It said "It is easier to build a child than to repair an adult." I quickly Googled it, and found out that the quote came from a former slave and 19th century racial justice advocate named Frederick Douglass. I really enjoyed reading about him and his life, and I thought that I would include this link here for others to read:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p1539.html
That quote and everything that Frederick Douglass worked so hard for in his life are things that we can sometimes take for granted, especially with the public education system. We are very blessed. So, I will take "the good" right along with the "not-so-good" of public education! And I will feel very thankful that I can help out in any way I am needed.
Quote of the Month
"Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment